Urban Ministry Teams
Life in the Inner City
We work in the poorest neighborhood of Chattanooga, Tennessee, one of many inner cities around the nation that has experienced a decline in the standard of living since the 1960s. We are here to invest in our neighbors and empower them to develop the community we love.
Urban Ministry Teams (UMTs)
Urban Ministry Teams (UMTs) are short-term groups from churches or campus ministries who join Hope’s work for a seven-day Christian community development experience.
While on-the-ground at Hope, UMTs catch a vision for racial reconciliation and wholistic ministry to materially poor communities. But these aren’t just abstract ideas: UMTs engage in hands-on interactions with the community through work projects in which they learn to love and come alongside our neighbors.
Because we believe that lives are changed and communities are transformed by the life and love of Jesus Christ, Hope seeks to minister to the inner city in two main ways:
– Mercy Ministry: meeting emergency needs
– Economic Development: moving people from dependency toward economic stability
Serving on a UMT is a chance to be a part of Christ’s work in the lives of people in East Chattanooga. It’s our prayer that the UMT is also an occasion for you to get a clearer picture of urban poverty, develop a deeper love for the Lord Jesus, and hear a louder call to serve God’s kingdom.
Urban Ministry Team Details
– Grade levels junior high and above
– One adult for every five teenagers
– Group leaders present with group at all times
– At least one male and one female for mixed-gender activities
– Adequate transportation for your group (we recommended vans)
– Saturday: Evening arrival, check-in, and orientation
– Sunday: Worship at New City Fellowship, followed by lunch and orientation.
Occassional evening ministry opportunities
Evening wrap-up and debrief
Friday evening spent enjoying Chattanooga
– Saturday: Morning departure
– Teams will stay in our bunkhouse on the Hope campus.
– Please bring your own pillows and blankets/sleeping bags.
– All meals are provided. Delicious urban food is prepared by Hope for the Inner City staff. (Breakfast is self-serve; midday meals are prepared in advance and taken to the work sites.)
– $375 Team Booking Fee (nonrefundable) to reserve the week. We recommend early booking.
– $425 per person (nonrefundable) includes materials, meals and lodging (spending money recommended).
– Contact Tory Worley for pricing for returning teams.